Day 1

 Can I journal 10 days straight and see what comes to the surface?  I can, but will I? This is a serious question. Will I carve out the space to write for this period? I want to. I'll try.

I want my words to stick. What's the obstacle?  The obstacle is me. Am I afraid of what I will find? Am I afraid that I'll be powerful. I don't want to say no but I don't know if it is a definitive yes. I'm going to do my best.  I still want my words to have power that in the face of the things I want to shrink back from that i definitively say with all conviction yes I will.  

Here are all the things I thought of in under 2 seconds.  O will hold me accountable but I don't know if i want that. I thought of Que and all that they are experiencing. I have not brought myself to pray. Why does this feel painful to me. I don't know what I can do in this situation. It feels overwhelming to me and I'm not the one at the center of this experience. I'm going to pray into this. Those times I have to draw on God's strength to pray a prayer that will push past the ceiling. That activates my faith in a way that is beyond me.

That's actually how Theo and I became closer friends. Same thing with D Jakolby though the seasons have shifted. 

I don't know how to explain it but I have this hesitancy around who I am musically. That was one part of me that was so prominent and now I'm in a place where I have to remember that You even flowed through me in that vein.  I was listening to Let's Take A Walk. Mike and I really gelled on that track and what I remember is that is flowed so seemlessly through our conversation. How Willie was able to listen to me sing and fit the right chords around it better than I would have imagined. Same thing with Da Fingaz Long Distance...just wow.  Lord I wonder what am I to make of that now. I personally feel so inadequate.  I never intentionally meant to bury any of that. From what I experienced in moving to Boston shit was just so packed together for me. . . from the commute to MCC, being engaged then preparing for a wedding, all the CotC stuff (JP initiative on Saturdays, church on Sundays, helping Charmie in her being involved) the networks and the space just didn't exist for me like I hoped. Don't get me wrong, writing with Issa and Sam on that one track was good and I do appreciate that opportunity.  The thing missing for me was just that the season of life I have been in since that didn't include writing music the way I wanted it to.  I think I've just been desperate for community and space where I can thrive. 

Lord you did breathe life on me in terms of being drawn to contribute by leading worship.  That took a serious focus for me.  It took some time and you did open the door for relationship with Ryan to be in a more trusted space more so for him. For me it wasn't a question of if I could do it, it was more being literate of the structures in place and how can I thrive inside of it in a way that makes sense for me without giving up too much of who I am.  Once again that was a situation where I was trying to make others more comfortable with me: the pastor, the music team, the congregation.   This is what lead me to consider being on staff as a worship leader. In that respects what I saw for myself was doing so part time. Why??  One aspect was bringing in extra money and still pursing musical growth. That was a time where I felt what I believe to be a call to worship in music ministry was heavy.  

The opportunity to lead worship at CTK Roxbury for about a year plus was formative. I'm remarking on all that you have allowed me to be a part of that just hasn't been top of mind. From that experience I affirm in myself to be a gifted worship leader. It has given me confidence and I'm not fully aware of. I can get into my own bag of this is what I need to do for this that I forget what is actually taking place in the moment and how God is meeting people through me.  God I thank you for those experiences and I apologize for treating them as though they are insignificant because of how I interpret things to be now.   PT has such gifted leaders and I believe you are showing me how I need to show up in this season.   You are challenging me to be faithful, remember that it is not about me and that there is a place for me even though it looks different from what I am used to.    

I don't think it is appropriate to lament. I think I have to honor the season I'm in and allow the Lord to satisfy me.  So musically I don't know where I am but you have light a fire around social justice, race, being critical and illuminating the power structures at work there is something there and I have not really thought about music as much. I feel so different.  I wonder where was I previously and why now are all these ideas coming up for me?  I'm not sure and I don't know what exactly to do with it. 

I had to take a break and sit with the Lord for a bit. My time was to show gratitude for what He has done and rest in Him for where He has me now. Keep my eye open Lord. I'm available.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Functioning Society

The Death of Nick Charles

This One's For The Ladies