Who's Who in Black DC

My father got me a ticket to Who's Who in Black D.C. I was excited, but the first thing I thought about was how it had really been a year since I've been home. I remember my parents boasting about last year's event as though it was yesterday. To bring you up to speed, Who's Who is a networking event that honors the movers and the shakers in a given city. Who's Who events are held in cities across the country honoring the achievements of blacks in spheres such as government, media, law, entertainment, business, non-profit, etc. It's a great opportunity for networking.

Here's a little insight into who I am. I'm good with interacting with new people, but I can't deny the part of me that wonders what people are thinking when they first talk to me. I was a little nervous about the event, but I put that in the back of my mind and decided to muscle through it. There were two people in particular that I really wanted to meet. That night I made a goal of handing out at least 15 business cards. It was a pretty lofty goal but at least I went in with one.

Leading up to the event, I managed to get blisters on both hands from doing yard work. I knew I'd have a great time shaking hands that night. Just my luck someone may shake the bandage off my palm and then we'd both have a really nasty situation. The day of, I decided to get some business cards made. This was something that I should have done three years ago, but I never took the time to actually do it until then. I wasted over an hour in line waiting on a very nice couple to finish theirs. They were nice but they just took all day to get theirs done. I'm standing in line knowing I have patience issues, but I managesmile right through it.

I get the business cards done, I finish up my yard work with my blistered hands, and I get ready for the event. I'm dressed, but at the last second I decide to shave. Just my luck I knick my face while shaving, which is another messy situation I have to deal with. I get that together, hop in the car, and head to D.C. The whole week, I had the worst gas. Just my luck it hasn't stopped and I dont' do that holding thing. It is what it is.

My night started off slow. Of course I didn't know anyone there, but I ended up engaging an older gentlemen and a young couple in a conversation about the event. We talked about HBCU's--which I have not attended--youth, and other topics. As we are speaking, a young woman introduces herself to promote her book. We talk for a few minutes about marketing strategies. That was nice. There were two people that I really wanted to meet that night. Both work as staff with a local radio station. They passed me several times and I felt too akward at that moment to initiate a conversation. That was primarily because they had their groups with them. By virtue of their careers they have a bunch of people around that assist them. I didn't feel like fighting through that.

Biggest surprise of the night: I met John Lewis of the U.S. House of Representatives. Now this is a big thing for me because I did a paper on him for a graduate course on social movements. If you don't know Google him. What's crazy is that I was standing right next to him and almost walked past him. I saw him and had to ask someone if that was him. I found a way to go shake his hand and while I did that I dapped him up out of nervousness. He didn't avoid the dap. I didn't do the picture thing, but told him I did a paper on him. He responded "I hope you got a good grade on it." That was the highlight of my night.

I did get to meet one of the two people I really wanted to speak to. I caught her outside waiting on her ride. I used that as an opportunity to introduce myself, have a little small talk and get the busines card. I was proud of myself. Overall it was a good night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Functioning Society

This One's For The Ladies

The Death of Nick Charles