Therapy Thursdays

I promise you that DJ 2MUCH and I were working on an event concept that would use this same title. What's funny is that Therapy Thursdays at Indulj hosted by Poet and the Future Band was pretty much a model for the idea we had. Last night, I made it out only off of a suggestion from someone's Twitter Page and now I think I'm in love.

It's been a minute since I've found a spot where I could listen to good music from a GOOD band. I know DC is stocked full of them but I'm just now becoming familiar with that scene. So, let's talk about Poet and the Future Band. After seeing someone's status about them performing at Indulj and that the show was FREE , I did a little bit of research and found this article. Of coure I had to find them on Twitter and peep their following to see that it wasn't just some corny local band. Based on the performance, they definitely weren't. The band which consists of Poet(male vocalists), Mickey (female vocalist), a drummer, keyboardist, a congo player, and a cat on the steel drums, did a nice mix of covers by Anita Baker, Usher, Alicia Keys, and Jill Scott, with a few original.

It was pretty sick and both vocalists have a pretty solid stage presence. To give props to the instrumentalists, they were playing like mad men and I loved it. The band performed non stop for a little over an hour before taking a break, which I highly applaud. The supply of neo-soul mixed with a go go feel was phenomenal but I wish they would have taken the songs to church--meaning I would have liked more free flow as far as adlibs, music breakdowns, and sustained endings from the band. I was super excited when I saw a person, I think was their publicist, pass out cd's. Man, she ran out before she even got to me. Even though I only stayed for an hour I loved every minute of it. I think I found my new Thursday night jump off.

Apparently the band was formerly named Beautiful eXperience. I tried finding them on YouTube under their current name but I only got vids of them under the former name.

I would have taken more pics but it was super dark in there, so instead I'll leave you with a video I found on YouTube of them under their former name performing Brooklyn Girl, which I heard last night. The main singer is Poet.

I didn't meet the band because it was getting late but I got such a good impression that I'll give them a plug.
Twitter: @POETFUTUREBAND
Facebook: Poet and the Future

Comments

Unknown said…
I think this band is great
Gordon M. Curry said…
Definitely. I'm glad that I found out about them.

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Functioning Society

This One's For The Ladies

The Death of Nick Charles