The Persuaders

I had lunch with a consultant that I look up to and we got into a conversation about marketing and creating a brand. He mentioned that I should take a look at a PBS special entitled The Persuaders.

I just viewed 3 of the videos and the biggest thing that this is confirming to me is that there is a lot of bull behind marketing. What I'm saying is that the emotional focus of marketing is not always successful for the majority of products. A lot of the concepts in advertising maybe entertaining and may even be noteworthy but they do not sell the product. Let's remember, these concepts are successful for certain brands and not so for others.

Everyone has a concept and a gimmic but how often do they work? Advertising and PR agencies are run by 6 holding companies. Long story short much of advertising is b.s. I say that with conviction with only 3 months of real advertising experience. The real issue is do marketers really sift through the information to find out what it really says about consumers? Are brands really these super spiritual icons? Is it possible for a marketer to use an emotional attachment to sell the product, which is the bottom line of advertising? I'll finish the video and give my cummulative opinion on such. So far the video is proving every negative thing that I believe about the field.

Either way big up to all my colleagues doing their thing in the world of marketing. I'll be right there with you soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Functioning Society

The Death of Nick Charles

This One's For The Ladies