White Stole The Show

Breaking news last week was that Zeta Tau Alpha won the Sprite Step Off Competition receiving $100,000 to donate to scholarships for the chapter. After winning it was made public that after a scoring discrepancy between the first and second place winners has been identified the second place winners, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, would recieve the same amount.

I'm blown by the controversy around it. I took some time and looked at the videos of each contestant that made it to the final round and to me it is clear why ZTA won. Those white girls stepped they tail off and represented from start to finish. Mind you, the video I linked you all to does not show full performances for the other frats but yo them chicks brought it.

I don't read news stories as much as I do the comments. It is good to see those that agree with me but it's shocking how ignorant some people are. Of course the majority of the comments had to deal with race. I found a lot of comments about how stepping is historically a black tradition and how white people come in and take everything that black people start. Blah blah are you kidding me? There were quite a few comments in support of ZTA. At the end of the day haters are everywhere especially among black people, but that is another conversation for your mind.



In my opinion , no matter where stepping came from historically, stepping is about putting on a show and representing. If a team comes out and does just and it's better than everyone else then it is what it is. Let's be adults about this here.
What's even crazier is that the show took place in Atlanta, the black Mecca of America. All throughout the show cats were going crazy because of how hot ZTA's show was. When it came time to announce the winner these same mugs that were standing up going crazy were the same ones booing the crap out of the sorority. Ain't that backwards.

This incident just reminds me of how some of my people can be such hard core haters. My passion for this lies in the fact that as individuals we need to learn to hate the right things. If I hate anything it is ignorance, lack of integrity, lack of self respect, selfishness, and lack of concern for how your actions affect others. People love to hate others for prospering without us but we don't love to hate all the mess that makes the world a horrible place. I dont' know why, but reading the comments and hearing the boos after apparent pandamonium during the show struck a chord with me and made me upset. Let's give credit where credit is due and use that as motivation to get better. I'm done!

Comments

LiFe UnSpoken said…
PREACH!! Saw this same video..hands down one of the BEST I've seen!! They should have given them their props instead of hating so hard. My issue is the whole "ENTITLEMENT" issue black folks got. It's ridiculous! White folk started football, Lord knows we've taken over that. Where the commentary then? *shakes head* I'm tired of ignorance among own folks. Hate to say it, sometimes, I'm more comfortable in a room that predominantly other rather than predominantly black. YEAH I SAID IT!!
Gordon M. Curry said…
Who u tellin'? Chris Rock said it best: there is a civil war in the black community between black people and niggas. Niggas seem to be winning like crazy. We all know who they are. If I was a white woman and I saw some black people pass me on the street, I'd hold my purse too.

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Functioning Society

This One's For The Ladies

The Death of Nick Charles