And Ludacris says

I've been talking about some nonsense stuff lately, but once I got a hold of this I had to jump on the blog. Hiphoppers, politicians, and of course the media are raving about "Politics" by the multi-platinum, rapper that helped put Disturbing the Peace and Atlanta on the map. I'm sure many of you heard the song, or were prompted to listen to the song sinc the media has been raving about it. I'm big on media that cover hip hop music from a political angle so I had to speak my peace.

Yes Ludacris takes stabs at Hillary Clinton , Jesse Jackson and of course John McCain,who the rapper says "doesn't belong in a chair unless he's paralyzed." Thenof course he had to bag on Bush describing him as "mentally handicapped" and "the worst of all 43 presidents." Lyrical genius I must say. Let me explain that. The song sounds like Luda was in a cypha or a freestlye session. I must add that there has been little information as to how the song got leaked. Anyway it sounds like a freestyle session in which someone may have given him a topic, say Obama!! From there he just rapped off the cuff and anything he says is fair game as long as the flow is sick. And I must say the flow is sick. There is a lot of satire in hip hop as we can see.

Regardless of the context for the song, it's funny how another probably stronger message was completely ignored. Beyond the remarks about Obama's opponents, Luda sends a message for black people to "get out and vote." Yeah, that's the media for you. Of course the offensive info would get more focus. I could argue all day about the song but I think that it should not be missed that the ending message was for people to vote.

I'm not here to blast my political opinions, but this election is significant because it has drawn in so many people that in the past would never pay attention to politics. Hip hop reaches so many types of people and is always critcized for the negative messages. I believe that to perpetuate the familiar description of hip hop, journalists would angle the story so as to leave out the message about voting. For all my communication scholars, this is framing theory in action.

Regardless of why people are interested, people are interested in this election. This song has the potential to reach an audience that is historically known to be absent on election day. Although we can't directly connect a potential voter's behavior to a specific influencer, this song has the potential to influence nontheless. Let's not forget to mention other hip hop tracks that have endorsed political campaigns. You got artists like Will.I.Am, P.Diddy, Common, and Jay-Z that have been known to give political shout outs. Overall ,I believe that Luda in a very clever and creative way, with elemnts of satire incorporated into the fold, expressed a sense of urgency for listeners to get out and vote. Check out the video on youtube: keyword Politics.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Functioning Society

This One's For The Ladies

The Death of Nick Charles