The Music In Me

Life is moving, which is all I can say. I'm almost done with my first year as a full time college professor. I'm with someone special who I can't wait to visit in a matter of days. Then music...things are moving.  

May 15 & 16 I will be performing a 30 minutes set at a fundraiser for an independent film. The event will take place at the Gibson Showroom, a guitar store in DC. This is going to be the first time that I've ever stepped out and told my story, or any story through music. I sing just about every week in my work with JudahLYFE and at church but this time will be a different but not so different way for me to express myself.  This will be the longest that I've ever performed as a lead singer. I'm excited. The nervousness has not kicked in. I know that as of yesterday I have less than a month to prepare myself, get the band together, and all those logistics.

So many things are on the forefront of my mind personally.  The day after I realized the event planner was serious about me doing the set, I got up and jogged for about a half an hour. The only thing in my mind was that no matter what I will do a great performance. I've haven't been as consistent with keeping my body on point but I have been taking the time to prepare myself vocally for this. I started working with my vocal coach again and even asked around for alternative voice teachers.

I'm in limbo with my set list. Not certain which songs to do. I keep going back and forth between which songs will be crowd pleasers and which songs could I pull off and really show who I am. I was supposed to have that done a week ago. I'll be doing mostly covers and about two originals.

So yes, I'm teasing out the details of this show but what it all really is is a moment for me to prove myself to me. I can get caught up on how people will respond. I can get caught up on what will go right and wrong. I can try to control every aspect of this event. I can get caught up in who shows up and who doesn't but for me what it comes down to is me proving myself to myself not anyone else.

I'm excited about this event. I'm not sure of the outcome I'm looking for but it is time. I'll talk more about it in the coming days. If you are reading come on out and support me May 15 or May 16 at the Gibson Showroom. Event details will be forth coming. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Functioning Society

The Death of Nick Charles

This One's For The Ladies