Music For Me

It's funny. I expose myself to the world through so many different hats. I'm an educator. I've modeled. I'm a role model. I'm an activist. All those things are good but very few people really know me under my musician hat. I hear the term quite often "I didn't know you could sing." This is true. I don't put that part of my character on blast. I haven't been super persistent in that area either, even though making a living with music is a top priority of mine. Although I think about music often I don't quite talk about it too much.

So why talk about it now. Well why not? I have my first studio session with Meek Leek this Friday and I'm going through my catalog trying to see what I really want to work on. When it comes to me doing my own projects, I get so crippled by all the things that I want to go right that I often forget about making music that sounds great and feels right. I think this is why I haven't gotten much work done. I dream so big and so hard that I want everything to go right and be perfect. I think that is the plague of every true artist. Even still, I have to get some content out just to even get in the game right now.

Right now my talents have been used to support other projects. I've been doing background vocals for a local gospel group. Earlier this summer a friend brought me in to help write for his project. A couple of things happen when you play a support function. Your work gets changed, you have to adjust, and you have to remember that even though you put in the creative energy, the decisions are subject to someone else. I can dig that, but I think that because I've differed my projects, I'm getting pretty restless.

So here goes! I have a studio session on Friday. I've initiated working with another producer out of Woodbridge, VA to start up in early November. I'm picking back up some of what I started back in the summer of 2010. The only thing stopping me is my head and my wallet. I'll always struggle in my head with what I'm capable of. My wallet. . . sheesh...I'm making room. So wish me luck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Functioning Society

The Death of Nick Charles

This One's For The Ladies