Troy Davis and the Unmasking of Jim Crow

I'm going to fight the urge to utterly pass out right now to talk about the Troy Davis trial. My cousin calls me, which is crazy because we have spoken all of a few times this year--not because of personal issues but more because of convenience. Either way I'm glad he did. Knowing how, socially conscious I am he asks if I was following the news about Troy Davis. At that point I never heard of him. To make a long story short, in 1989 he was convicted in the State of Georgia for killing in a trial based largely of eye witness testimony. From my understanding this was a case that had been tried and appealed on numerous occasions. Since his conviction 7 of the 9 original witnesses have sense recanted their testimony stating that they were coerced by cops to give a false testimony. Davis was sentenced to the death penalty. A federal judge was asked to consider significant evidence of Davis' innocence but rejected such evidence. The Supreme Court would not consider the case and as I speak right now despite much protesting and rallying outside the jail Mr. Troy Davis was pronounced dead about 47 minutes ago.






I took a break from writing because I don't really know what to say concerning this disgusting injustice. Unfortunately, I'm not surprised. One thing is for sure race is definitely a large factor in how this case was carried out. Without even knowing who was on the jury or any of the court proceedings, I'm well aware of how the South and many other places do justice. Innocent people, specifically underclass black people, get put on trial for felonies they are innocent of. It is known--I wish I had some research on this but check out this NPR news feature--how unreliable evidence based on eye witnesses is. So now an innocent black man was pretty much kept in the system until they could kill him with the death penalty. Eye witnesses that recanted their statements and alleged police coercion. And the judge would not reconsider the evidence after the fact.

What makes this event a travesty is that although America has a black president, there is only so much that our system will do to fight injustice when it comes to certain people. You'll get practically shut down for anti-semetic or anti-homosexual comment but how much protection will an underclass black person receive if the very system in place to protect him is the one that fails to move on his behalf and turns away as he is put to death based on faulty reasoning and deception. To clarify, it's never right to fight injustice with injustice but c'mon. Right is right and wrong is wrong.

At the end of the day this event only proves how backwards the American system is. It is NOT build on principles of faith but on survival of the fittest. Unfortunately, and this is my belief, there are people and systems in power that work to define who and what is classified as fit. I said what I wanted to say.

I welcome any feedback you desire to give.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Functioning Society

This One's For The Ladies

The Death of Nick Charles