It's A Celebration

It's a celebration. It's a celebration. Celebrating the year I moved out my moma basement.

It's been a long time coming for me fam and September 15 marks the day that I move into my new place in SE DC. Too bad I won't be settled in for about another week after that date. I work during the evenings and the weekend that follows it is pretty busy. Either way I will be sure to raise a glass for myself because this city man has finally got it together to live in the city. The first couple of months will be a stretch but I can dig it.

To share a little bit about my journey I consider myself to have come a long way. From getting my Masters in 09 to moving everything to NYC to landing flat on my butt after that summer because there was no job in the city. Next I moved in with my parents and took on a part-time job where the leadership was horrible. I wrecked my car and then the car I was using got stolen, with no where close to enough money to afford a car payment. I was fired by that horrible leader and then took on a retail job where even more stupid people were in charge. While working there, I got cursed out by a pastor and I made sure to return the favor. Now here I am. Happy and enjoying the work I do, for now.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want sympathy and I completely understand that there are people out there who would kill to experience my bounce back story because they are worst off. What I'm getting at is I'm coming into my own. My education didn't prepare me for life. I think I'm a little jaded because life can suck. I know a hell of a lot more about how to handle situations. I'm not as naiive about people. (I possibly spelled that wrong but whatever.) I also think that every man has to experience situations that are difficult, humbling, and that take process in order to really know who he is. I know now I can take it. I know now that I can't rest my identity on what I do. I know that there are things that I do know. I also know when to say no. It's funny how money can solve all your problems and be the reason for so many problems. I've learned to say no when it's not worth it.

I was working so many part time jobs where the money wasn't worth the amount of time. I had a job where it was nothing but chaos everytime I came to work. I've also had moments that showed me where I really fit in. So for everyone who has come through a difficult time, even though there will be more difficult time to test your character, for now let's toast it up. It's a celebration.

Comments

Charmie said…
Congrats, Gordon! That's definitely a milestone. Now, to more important matters: When's the housewarming? I accept evites. :-D
Gordon M. Curry said…
Thanks! I haven't decided on a housewarming. I'm afraid that it'll take me over a month to move everything in LOL.

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Functioning Society

The Death of Nick Charles

This One's For The Ladies