Welcome to Words, Beats, & Life Inc.

I'm so glad that I found out about this organization. I'm also glad that after close to 6 months of trying to connect with someone there--mostly out of my own laziness and schedule conflicts--I have gotten through. Words, Beats & Life is an arts organization that uses hip hop to mentor and empower youth. Those are my words about the organization and not the official statement as written by WBL Inc. I'm big on the arts so I'm glad to have found one in the D.C. area that has a focus on hip hop.



Now onto what they do. Through what is refered to as the Urban Arts Academy, WBL Inc., offers courses in hip hop elements such as DJing, graffitti, emceeing, and breakdance for youth as young as 5 and as old as 23. From what I've learned these courses are more than just a hobby, but a way to emphasize literacy, push the youth to get better at their craft, and find ways to use that craft to seek higher education. I think it's pretty sweet. I also learned about opportunities to work with the youth in terms of college prep. I'm pretty sure that is where I'll come in given my background.


What's even more exciting about WBL Inc., is that they have many other projects geared toward outreach and education within the context of hip hop through what they refer to as The Cipher. Some of their programs include a national network of hip hop artists, scholars, arts organization and other stakeholders. Check out the Remixing the Art of Social Change annual and local teach-in, the Bootleg Film Festival, which supports independent films, and many other programs.

As I proceed further, I'd rather show then tell you about WBL Inc. Here are a few videos that may inspire you to want to volunteer with this organization. We definitely need the bodies. No matter where your strength is you can do something to contribute to impact the lives of the youth.

Here's a video of 2009's Break Dance Competition, which is one of WBL Inc's largest events each year.



Words, Beats & Life from Rakhee Jethwa on Vimeo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Functioning Society

This One's For The Ladies

The Death of Nick Charles