Kids Do the Darndest Things

It's almost 11 p.m. and I'm tired as hell. I started my job with the youth center last week, so it's good to get off my butt and work. I'm working with the School Age Care program, which means early morning and afternoon shifts. I'll talk more about that in another blog.

Today was interesting. I wrote my first lesson plan ever, which consists of a life sized version of rock, paper, scissors, board game tournaments, floor puzzles, impersonation exercises, and block building. The kids range from kindergarten to 2nd grade so I could only do so much without going in over their heads. Today I had to break up two fights, scold a few kids for cheating in a game of pool, discipline a young boy for hitting a girl and discipline another for kicking a kid in the love below. He swore that he kicked him in the stomach but I explained that he may have thought he kicked the kid in the groin but because the kid was shorter than him ... you get the picture. The kids aren't aloud to run around in the game room, make noise, or hang on the counselor. I find it ridiculous because that is what little boys do.

Little boys are Wild at Heart and every little girl wants to be captivating. I see it in the way the boys rough house. I see it in the way the girls go crazy when playing dress up. John Elderedge knows his stuff.

I also had to get smart with two boys for playing with pom poms and the purses. Say what you want, no boy is gonna play with pom poms under my supervision.

Working with kids you become familiar with their parents. I'm not sure how to say this but it is so crazy to me to find out that a kid is a particular race/ethnicity when their parents show up. I kid you not, there are several kids you would think are one nationality until you meet their parent or see the other parent. This one kid his mom is white. He looks white but his dad is Puerto Rican and Black. I would have never known. Another kids looks Indian but his mom is a sista (a black woman). There are so many more examples it blows my mind but I think it is beautiful.

It's like a smack in the face to bigots.

Last week some of the kids were talking about their families. You know how kids fantasize about the future. Well a few kids were talking about how they would be married and then end up getting divorced. I was like WHAT!! I asked the young girl and the young boy why they thought they'd get divorced. One of them said that they probably wouldn't like their wife. Another said something along the lines of her mom being single so she would be single. Then they asked me and I said I won't get divorced because I'll have a smokin'-hot wife. They laughed. Well actually they looked at me with wide eyes and made that sound like I said something wrong. (I'm new so I'm learning what is appropriate even if the kids have to tell me). Then they laughed after I said it again. You can call me conservative or whatever but I'm down with the old fashion value of marriage and making things work. I'm saying that like I've been married lol. I've just made up my mind where I'm going. It's time out for this being with someone over 5 years, living together, raising kids together and still girlfriend and boyfriend. It goes to show me that the values that the kids see in their parents ultimately get lived out and perpetuated. This may not even be supported but it'll be my theory for now.

I'll let you all know how things progress with the SBA and DCPS.

Earlier this week I got to give some marketing advice to a friend that does dance consulting out in Charlotte, NC. Another development is that I'll also be doing some street team support for an R&B Soul artist so look out for my tweets and FB statuses.

As I write, I'm blasting Last Chance by Ginuwine. This was my anthem for a minute. I'm remembering how this song inspired me to go out on the line for a special somebody just to see what could be. Now this song is firing me up to start working on my dreams. I'll express those in another blog, but long story short what would you do if it was your last chance to go after something you really wanted? Not just really really want but something you've been hungry for. Right now it's just a matter of time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Functioning Society

This One's For The Ladies

The Death of Nick Charles