I woke up and 2 months went by

Literally. I seriously feel like I looked up and two months went by since I left the city. Lucky for me, I've been called back for three interviews. I like the feeling. Since my last blog, I've eased up on the job search and decided to go with what works and what I love to do. As far as what works, I applied for a part-time gig as a youth counselor. Given my background in working with teenagers I thought I'd get that easily. No calls yet.

I even interviewed at H&M. I figured that I could build my wardrobe up while I search for opportunities that fit my level of experience. The manager told me that I was everything they were looking for but that she could tell my heart wasn't in it. She told me that I was the type that could do the job excellently but it would be a matter of time before I jump ship for a better opportunity. I believe she hit the hammer on the nail with that one!

So, I said screw it and decided that since the right job wasn't opening any faster I was going to do what years of college, extra cirricular activities, and job-related responsibilites have kept me from: finishing some of the songs I started. Music is a hidden talent of mine and it is crazy how for so long I've put work and play before my creative expression. For the past month I've been spening time here an there connecting with musicians in my area and putting music to lyrics that I've written years ago.

For me this transition has been beneficial because I haven't rested. I haven't allowed myself the opportunity to just be creative because I like to. Now that the deadlines are gone, the papers are over, the conference calls have ceased it is just me. My friend told me that I'm the jolliest unemployed person she's ever seen. I laugh. I've been using this time to wisen up about the communications field. I've met quite a bit of people. None of their companies are hiring but I've had good conversations without the pressure of impressing them. I can say I'm good for now. We'll see what happens.

Comments

Recarda said…
Hey. I know I'm late with this, but truth is I havn't been on my blog for months. About RF, um, I didn't get in. I grew really depressed over it and realized that PR isn't what I really want to do. So over the past few months I have been re-evaluating my life and realized that a career helping people directly would make me much happier. Health care. But, did you ever get in? If so, hope all is well. Oh, sometime in July, one of the directors contacted me to ask me to reapply for the fall session, and I happily declined. By then I kind of knew it wasn't for me. Everything happens for a reason huh? ...
Gordon M. Curry said…
Great to hear from you! I didn't get the job with RF either. I wasn't too upset because I visited and thought the offices were depressing. Although the application was hard work, I guesss I got to evaluate myself through the process. I ended up interning with an ad agency that I didn't even apply for. After spending a summer in NYC and coming back to DC I'm certain that I'd like to be in NYC and do PR or advertising still. We'll see but yeah, everything does happen for a reason. Good luck!

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Functioning Society

The Death of Nick Charles

This One's For The Ladies