Self Monitoring

As much as I want to use my blog to express what is going on around me in this time, I have to be smart about it. For the past six years, I have been a student, so I have had the freedom to talk about what I wanted on my blog. Vent my frustrations as I pleased etc. etc. Well, now that I am a professional I feel as though I have to take a different approach.

I thought it would be a good idea to include my blog site on my resume, so that my future employers could catch a glimpse of who I am and want to hire me. Good idea ey? Maybe not so much. My past few posts have been venting sessions because work at an agency is not in the least bit glamorous. So why am I pursuing this? Well for one, I've spent six years as a student caught the revelation that I am going to be a lifetime learner. At an agency it is all about learning the clients business and learning about the tools that you can use to help them grow. I don't want to be in a position where I am stagnant and after two months of working in the advertising field I know this is a field filled with others who don't want to stay in one place. You can't stay in one place in advertising otherwise you don't progress.

I am pursuing this because agencies give you a bigger picture of the marketing mix. Yeah I can work on the client side and make more money. At an agency you get access to all of the resources, ideas, and people that make the marketing mix work. You get to see it because you are a part of it. I believe that if anything, my experience at an agency will inform my role on the client side when I choose to move.

Lastly, and more personally I've had to man up to the conflict. This has definitely been my opportunity to grow in that area. I've had to fess up to times I caused a project to crash and burn all because I forgot a zero at the end of a number. (The details make a huge difference.) I've had to disappoint people when they want a project 2 hours after they give it to me along with the 17 other assignments that were listed as priority. I've had to be realer than I've ever been. If anything, had I not met this opposition, I wouldn't be more adamant about being here. When I say here, I mean this industry. It's taken a lot out of me but I'm not going to quit just yet. There is something here for me to see. There is something here for me to understand. If anything because I'm fighting, I'm more serious about making this career path work for me in this season of my life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Functioning Society

This One's For The Ladies

The Death of Nick Charles