On my block

Lately, I've blogged quite a bit about what is happening to me professionally--mainly because that has been where 150% of my time has gone to. Well not exactly, but still it has been a big focus of where my time has gone to: working hard on the job, finding a job, and where my job will take me in the future.

I'm definitely not so one dimensional. Before coming out here I knew that I wanted to play a role in the community in addition to whatever job I take on. Although finding work has been my priority--I can't stay here without a job--the whole community change thing has been in the back of my mind. I moved out to Harlem two weeks ago. I'm in one of the worst neigborhoods I've ever lived in but I don't feel out of my element. Last week I did the electric slide on 135 with hundreds of people during Harlem Week. I'm surrounded by black people--my people--soul food, stores that don't take credit, streets that are pitch black past 11pm. I love it.

Still I'm disheartened by all that comes along with being in the ghetto. This morning I walked past a couple brotha selling drugs. Youth and adults chill out on the stoop 24/7 like it is a day time job. I'm more amazed at how I walk past it all as if it doesn't phase me to see this going on. It's like I want to speak up and ask why but I'm too busy trying to be tough to even act like I care. On one hand I haven't built relationships in this neighborhood to even question those around me. On the other hand, I know who I am and how I've always been and that is an initiator. Where is my initiative?

Has this ever happened to u? You want to do something but there is a part in you that just moves on and walks by. Hmm. I don't know what to say about this one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Functioning Society

This One's For The Ladies

The Death of Nick Charles