Ethical Framing

So in the midst of defending framing as an ethical way to practice public relations, I'm still attempting to answer the same question. I'm in the middle of studying for comprehensive exams which will be the roughest test I've taken so far. Can you believe I'm using my spring break to do this. Right now I'm in the "do what I gotta do" mode so it will get done.

Last Thursday I went to the Mosaic Career Fair hosted by the American Advertising Federation and USA Today. If I haven't shared this let me give an update. Last December I did a job shadow at Arnold Worldwide. As you should know, I worked with The Bahamas last summer, which is one of Arnold's clients. I was not interested in advertising and honestly I can't think of my motivations for asking to do a job shadow. I believe it was along the lines of career exploration and I know that they do some integrated PR in their campaigns. Oh, well. I did the job shadow, met some really cool people, and walked away genuinely impressed. So impressed that I considered a new direction.

Mosaic was an opportunity to at least see what other people in advertising had to say about me making the switch from PR to advertising. It was very helpful. Right now there seem to be more full time job opportunities in advertising than in PR. So i've been thinking about that a lot.

All this time I've been looking into internships and training opportunities--seriously lacking confidence that I could go into full time work right now given my experience. Then I think about it, I don't want to go too long without benefits. I look at my experience as a youth counselor, leader of a growing campus ministry, my experience at ITT and The Bahamas, working with Project LEAD, recruiting for the McNair Scholars Program, leading music at Spirit of Life Church, mentoring youth, all of these roles give me confidence that I can handle the pressure and do what it takes to learn my job.

I've got a lot of thinking to do. I hope everything lines up and I'm at the best place I can be. I hope that I'm not sold short just because I want an opportunity now. I hope that even if one thing doesn't work out, that I can maintain a network and build relationships.

We'll see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Functioning Society

This One's For The Ladies

The Death of Nick Charles