Onward to the Inaurguration

I'm going to the Inauguration. Yes I'm doing it. I'm leaving with a group of graduate students at 10pm from Blacksburg and arriving in DC God knows when. O trust--you will hear about it. Part of me thinks we are crazy as hell for deciding to do things this way. Then another part of me just wants to see what happens. I'll be doing both so you know.

In other news, classes start on Tuesday. Here I am. As far as I'm concerned this is the last first day of classes I may have for awhile. I've got my boss upset with me and really trying to evangelize me to the PhD. If you don't know, I work for the McNair Scholars Program. The program is designed to increase faculty diversity by mentoring undergraduates so they pursue a PhD. I benefited greatly from the program: the connections I made got me into grad school; the connections that came about definitely got me funding; had I not been a scholar I probably wouldn't have the job I have now. Oh there is a but! I don't have a valid reason. Honestly, I'm just ready to get gone. Why did I not do a thesis? There was no topic I really wanted to do and the topic I wanted to search out would have kept me here for longer. I planned to coordinate a program that taught PR skills to high school students. I could have pursued it but so much time went by and I did not get the support I needed. Other than that there really was nothing that caught my attention so much that I was dying to make a project out of.

My Pastor says excuses are a crutch for the uncommitted and that is valid. As for the PhD, I know where I am well enough to know I'm not ready. It may not even be in Communication. Originially I wanted to get a ministry degree, which may come as a surprise to some but others not really. The cards will have to line up for me to invest in that. For one I don't want to pay for it. Two I want to go to a credible program because cats go to seminary and loose their faith. Then who is to say I need to go to seminary to do outreach? There are a lot of questions I'm contemplating right now.

On the other end of things I'm going back to New York at the end of the month. Ruder Finn and Lagrant are sponsoring a career development workshop. This is a good opportunity to get my face seen since I'm applying to their summer program. I also just want to go to New York. It has grown on me. I've changed my mind so much on where I want to go and really no matter what I say or where I may speculate, I'm open. Lord, please don't put me in a place where there is nothing or a place that I wouldn't be excited to go in the first place. Here I am though. I'm going to let him direct me. I really could go anywhere and I really do have options. It's a crazy thing but I can make it work.

It feels good when companies come after you and you have to say no. The ad agency that I met with over the break hit me back to come interview for a position. The only previous contact I had with them was when I visited the office. At that point I was not even interested in going into advertising. They made such an impression on me that now I am interested. Well I was supposed to have a phone conference with the HR person. She asked if I could come to the office and meet some other members of the account team instead since they were looking to fill an entry level position. I sent in my resume but they stated that they needed someone to start immediately. I had to turn down the interview offer since there was no wiggle room to start up in May. O well, an opportunity will come at the right time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Functioning Society

The Death of Nick Charles

This One's For The Ladies