Tings to Do














I'm going to take a deep breath and try my best to cover the last three days in Nassau. Sorry that I haven't been on top of things but I have been enjoying myself. Shoot, I'm in the effing BAHAMAS yall.

I arrived in Nassau at about 8:15 on Saturday July 5th. One of my bags did not make it when I did. Ms. Marylin Johnson,who works with the Ministry of Tourism in the People to People department, was there to pick me up. People to People links travelers with the locals. Travelers stay with a host and are treated to a home cooked meal. The difference is that they experience the Bahamas as a local and not a tourist, which is good because I'm getting hook ups at many of the expensive tourist spots. So, I hop in the car and she takes me to Millennium Gardens, which is a neighborhood in Nassau. I'd say its about 15 minutes from downtown Nassau. Ms. Johnson tells me that I'll be staying with Ms. Pat Ward, who is actually the sister of who I was originally supposed to be staying with. We pull up to a gated house surrounded by a garden. As we pull into the gate a young boy, a bit skinny holds the gate for us. His name is D'Nard. On the porch are two women. One of a dark completion, short cut hair, and glasses. She introduced herself as Pat Ward. The other woman, a fair completion with shorter cut hair, was her sister.

So the first night they took me to Arawak Cay (pronounced Ah-wah Key). Its a spot with a lot of bars, restaurants, daiquiri stands, and other stores. Its a nice hang out spot. We went into Big 10 which happened to be out of everything. One thing I suggest, if it is your first night in the Bahamas don't try to eat too late. As I sat with at the restaurant with Ms. Marylin, Ms. Pat, and D'Nard, I learned that D'Nard had been to Virginia. He and eight other Bahamian students are studying at Liberty Christian Academy in Lynchburg VA. D'Nard will be in Lynchburg come June 23. I'm excited to have him out, and I find it a crazy coincidence that I met him during this time.













We left Arawak Cay and went back to Millenium Gardens. As we pulled up, Kiver, Ms. Pat's daughter's boyfriend was parked in the yard. He was on his way to a party off Mackey St close to the Freedom National Movement building. (these facts were found out after the event because I had no clue where I was) So I went out there to party Bahamian style or at least observe. As we drove to the party, Kiver was telling me how he worked on banquet staff at Atlantis and that I should find time to come by. Cha-ching!! A free visit to Atlantis. Apparently I came out to Nassau at a good time. Independence day was on July 10 so I'd really get to see how the people there celebrate. So I was in the money.

We pull up to the party. The party was more of an observation. All I've known has been what I seen in Sean Paul videos, and Sean Paul is Jamaican. Here the dancing is a bit similar. the girls here are very sensual dancers. That's all I will say about that. It's much more free and syncopated movements and the guys do a lot of rocking from side to side and hand waving. You gotta see it!! Then what was so crazy is that when hip hop comes on these cats do the same thing cats do in America. It's like the style just changes when hip hop comes on. Dudes do the jumping and pushing thing they do at the clubs in America, or at least what I've seen in DC and at parties in Blacksburg.

That was my first night in Nassau!!

Comments

Alex said…
we need to see some pictures! sounds like it's a good time so far.
Yeah, pics and video of Bahamian gals gettin' down with Gordon would be much appreciated. Haha. Very jealous of you bro, but very happy for you. Keep it real!
Gordon M. Curry said…
I'm working on that. Check out facebook in the mean time. Oh yeah I left my camera at the house so I didn't get anything from the first night.

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Functioning Society

This One's For The Ladies

The Death of Nick Charles