For my record

Pretty soon I'm going talk about something other than the MOT internship, but for now I'm really using this blog to organize my thoughts and keep a record of my experiences.
It's crazy how everything is still fresh in my head. Now if only I could relate those experiences to communication or PR theory. I'll deal with that one as it comes.

So my experience with MOT has included: a press release on Junkanoo Summer Festival, to include junkanoo rushes and the security policies; a speech from the Minister for a fraternity; Domestic Tourism campaign; a radio spot; a press conference and a release on that conference; a bunch of research on the media landscape in Nassau, which I have not found much to actually report; write ups on SATW, brainstorming for the Miami Heat, a possible gospel celebration, business plan meetings, write ups for NAB, website recommendations, tons of other meetings to include e-commerce, religious markets, aviation markets, and passion markets.

So what did I get out of it? With each market is a specific understanding of the customer. The overall goal is to drive business to the Bahamas. I'd say that each market is doing that successfully. The question is how do they take that to the next level? A great deal of change is taking place within the organization due to the new Minister. The organization is going more online so the key is understanding the media habits of various customers and tailoring that to the business. As it stands now research and information is being collected and incorporated into the overall mix. I guess I'll think of way to make that more efficient.

If I'd change anything to this organization, I really haven't figured out what that would be. From an organizational stand point, I think staff training on how Web 2.0 affects their job would be pertinent. We'd really have to get a mindset change in the organization to incorporate many of the tools available. I see how easy it is for me to think that their customers come from the same fold. Boaters are much differently from divers and those that travel on cruise lines or come with their family. So for me I'd really find a better way to reach out to the customer and measure how that drives business. My mind is jumbled but this is a good opportunity to think of ways to solve this problem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fully Functioning Society

This One's For The Ladies

The Death of Nick Charles